Email Marc

Blog Tags


Archives

Monday, March 05, 2007

Monday News

Something is up with the Springfield Jr. Blues, as this article indicates. The same rumor concerning Pollos' ouster as GM landed in my email inbox over the weekend, but the more interesting email was last week. I received a copy of a memo from Pollos to the league stating that he was no longer representing Springfield on the Board of Governors. I also understand there was no Springfield representative on Friday's league conference call. I'm sure there is more to come in this story.

Labels:

Comments on "Monday News"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM, March 05, 2007) : 

Yeah, I'm from Springfield -- I stumbled across this blog a couple weeks ago while searching out some other things about the NAHL but anyway -- this weekend after Friday night's loss was weird. Usually Pollos goes to the radio "booth" after the games for post game interviews and Friday night's was shorter than usual.

I wasn't able to be there for the end of Saturday night's game but at least before the game, there was just an odd feel because I didn't see Pollos come out for a while. When he finally did I was kind of shocked. While the losing streak we went on, something needed to be done it wasn't like the team was that far out of a playoff spot and who would you get to bring in for the final 8 games and playoffs that would do a better job? Curtale isn't coming back.

Supposedly his Saturday night interview was even shorter and he even got into a shouting match with league leading scorer Pat Maroon due to Pollos's decision to put Tim Niedlezik on Maroon, effectively shutting him down to one assist. Last time I checked, isn't it the coach's job to make changes in a gameplan that's not working. 5 points the previous night -- Litvinoff out, Niedz in.

But I can't confirm anything that happened after about 5 minutes into the third period. If he's only replaced as GM, the guy they suggested in the paper to take over -- not sure if he'd be an answer, if only for an interim basis until the offseason.

Still my general feeling, unless they keep up Saturday's effort and make some noise in the playoffs, Brian Russell will say good bye to Pollos. Not really fair, I like the guy but its been very, very easy to criticize him this year, especially the past couple weeks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:09 PM, March 05, 2007) : 

Why is the coach in a screaming match with a teenage player on the other team?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 PM, March 05, 2007) : 

I can't really confirm if there was any screaming or not. That's just what I heard second hand. Sorry, I didn't make that clear. Usually things are never as bad as they're made out to be also.

From what I can figure Maroon was mad at a play in the third where Niedzielek attempted to goad Maroon into a fight, and decided to 'talk' with Pollos after the buzzer. How...volital the talk was or not, again I can't confirm as I had to leave just before the play in question. But if it was a screaming match, that is a good question.

I've just recently, this season, started coming back to Jr Blues games after maybe getting in two or three the past two seasons, so my opinions of Pollos are basically from this season, where I've only missed 4 home games thus far. Prehaps someone from here who can comment on Pollos previous to this season can say more about him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 PM, March 05, 2007) : 

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!!! For years I have been watching this idiot mistreat players, bad mouth players.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 PM, March 05, 2007) : 

Well there you go -- appears like he's one of those who've been watching Pollos more over the past couple years than I have. I just know this team has completely underachieved all year and more than likely the blame should fall on him.

I don't expect to compete for league titles every year but I do miss Curtale. The games and the players just seemed so much more fun back then. Then again the league at least had rivalies back then too. No Soo, no Compuware, no Danville, no Cleveland, no Chicago Freeze. Ugh. Danville and Chicago roadtrips use to rule. Yeah, there's St Louis but I haven't gone down to see them versus the Bandits yet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 PM, March 06, 2007) : 

Pollos is a good guy who means well and knows a lot about hockey. He's done everything he can to move his players on to college, regardless of the little amount of talent he has had on his squads. Some guys may not like him, but they couldn't help but respect him. His presence will be missed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 PM, March 06, 2007) : 

Pollos is a good guy who means well and knows a lot about hockey. He's done everything he can to move his players on to college, regardless of the little amount of talent he has had on his squads. Some guys may not like him, but they couldn't help but respect him. His presence will be missed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 AM, March 07, 2007) : 

Are you kidding me? He has the players best interest in mind? I personally know of players he told weren't capable of playing DI hockey that are playing DI hockey. I know of other players that he told were not good enough to play in the NAHL that went on to productive seasons in the NAHL. If he is telling players this, then you have to assume he isn't actively trying to move these players. Good riddence!! I hope he finds a job for his families sake, but beyond that, I don't care.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:17 AM, March 07, 2007) : 

Respect is the last word the players would use to describe him.

 

post a comment