Email Marc

Blog Tags


Archives

Monday, May 21, 2007

Monday News

Open question for folks, can anyone guess what franchise for sale this is? Yes, I have my own theory, but before I share it I'd like to hear any others...

Victoria to host 2009 Royal Bank Cup. Manitoba folks aren't happy about it, either. Maybe Winnipeg will get the junior worlds instead...

Dave Siciliano's status still up in air, but some feel his chances of leaving Sioux City for Lakehead U. are diminishing. (UPDATE: He's staying in SC)

Junior hockey billets having homing instinct...

And finally, some follow-up on the Wranglers' logo. First off, here's a comparison between the Norpac and ECHL logos. I've adjusted the junior logo 26 degrees and for scale so that it aligns with the pro version. I also cut out all the unrelated features so that all you have to compare are the cowboys. What the logo pirate did was invert the colors and add a lot of shade/shadow layers to wash out the details, but it's still the same logo. Some of the shared attributes include: angle of the bend in the arm, relative to the stick and body; the hat brim; the detail in the face shadowing; the v-neck; the gloved hand; and the line down the back including the jacket tail. Secondly, for those who don't understand the issue I have with this, it's just plain unprofessional - changing the colors and giving the cowboy a fedora doesn't make it okay, and neither does being for a Junior B team. Some folks are bringing up that many NHL logos are already used by teams, and this is true. However, the NHL is below the standard when it comes to protecting their trademarks. The other major leagues go a lot further in this regard.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Monday News"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:08 AM, May 21, 2007) : 

There's a Norpac keyword on this item, so is it safe to mention I've seen a WHA release this morning, stating The Team That Shall Not Be Named has officially jumped to their league, thus confirming the worst kept secret in junior hockey.

 

Blogger Marc Foster said ... (8:23 AM, May 21, 2007) : 

I use keywords for general tracking. The Norpac tag applies to Medford's logo, not FV.

If I need to adjust the FV policy by using a FV keyword as a declaration comments are "open season," then I can do that. I'll even go back and back-tag posts. I've been slowly going back through my 600 or so posts and back-tagging anyway, it won't be hard to add a category for FV.

In the meantime, if you have a link to a WHA release, send it my way and I'll make a new post for it. I don't see anything on the WHA's site yet.

 

Blogger Marc Foster said ... (8:24 AM, May 21, 2007) : 

Nevermind, no sooner did I say that than the release landed in my inbox... I'll post it around lunchtime if not sooner...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 AM, May 21, 2007) : 

The franchise in question would be the Texas Tornado.

It's obvious - founded in 1999 - the year the Tornado entered play.

The question is: how can they only make 100,000. on revenues of 1.4m?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 AM, May 21, 2007) : 

Tornado sounds right. Who oooowwnns the Chief?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 AM, May 21, 2007) : 

man who cares about some bush league junior b logo?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM, May 21, 2007) : 

I think that's the point. Bush league team using a bush league copy of a logo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM, May 21, 2007) : 

What about Fayetteville, NC in the SPHL? Tornado sounds logical though. Schlegel's still trying to build a Dallas ballpark for a AAA Rangers affiliate.

Speaking of this subject... what league is this!?! Doesn't make any sense and I have no clue. Any guesses?

http://us.businessesforsale.com/us/Professional-Sports-Team-Franchises-For-Sale.aspx

 

Blogger Marc Foster said ... (11:28 AM, May 21, 2007) : 

I have no idea what that one is. There is, however, a listing for what I believe is the Lubbock Cotton Kings:

http://us.businessesforsale.com/us/Southwest-Professional-Hockey-Team-For-Sale.aspx

 

post a comment