Email Marc

Blog Tags


Archives

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Off the hook

I spent most of Saturday trying to figure out how to write up the 100 penalty, 88 powerplay WSHL game Friday night between the Dallas Hawks and the Cajun Catahoulas. My brain got sore trying to work out the analysis of how much actual 5-on-5 time there was, but by most accounts it was limited to a few minutes, maybe three or so. I was going to talk about Bob Williams, I ref I've watched for several years, and rip into his most recent display of ineptitude. However, Bob can thank the Pac-10 refs for letting him off the hook.

I have more stuff to blog than just this... but events of the day kept me off the computer and it's late. I'll try to get caught up Sunday afternoon.

Comments on "Off the hook"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM, September 17, 2006) : 

The Oregon-Oklahoma game just confirmed my belief that all instant replay does is give a different set of officials a chance to screw up the call.

As to hockey officials, I'm scanning box scores of the various leagues, and just like the NHL last year, the teams who 'get it' --- adapting quickly to the new enforcement --- are cutting their PIMs quickly and, logically, winning.

I actually liked the NHL product last year, so seeing this policy trickle down to the junior leagues is fine with me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 PM, September 17, 2006) : 

I have to say that the views of the referees of their own self importance have increased dramatically in the past year. Rule changes are great for the game, however lets make sure that this isn't just giving the referees another reason to become the focal point instead of the players. I appreciate the fact that the referees have a tough job to do every night, however there are a couple of them that I saw this past week that would lead me to believe that it was them who I was there to see.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM, September 18, 2006) : 

I hope the ref got the number one star of the game for all his efforts!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM, September 18, 2006) : 

I see the Pac-10 suspended the officiating crew and the replay officials for one game because of their incompetence.

Mind you, the Sooners are still stuck with the loss.

This is a hockey forum, so I'll only make one more football comment:

Replay sucks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 PM, September 18, 2006) : 

Whoa ... self-important referees? Did the referees lobby to have these rule changes? Did the referees go to USAH and say, "DO this or we all quit."

It will definitely drive a few more (than usual) referees out of the vocation, but it certainly wasn't dreamed up by on-ice officials.

A near-perfect game for me as a referee is when I walk in, work the game, and walk out unnoticed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 PM, September 18, 2006) : 

leave it to 'jungle B' to make a mockery of the game of hockey

 

post a comment