Email Marc

Blog Tags


Archives

Monday, August 13, 2007

Scholarships now legal

A funny thing happened a few months ago during the Junior Council summer meetings... someone decided schollys were legal - scroll down to New Business on page 11. I've been holding my breath for a couple of weeks now waiting to see if anyone was going to notice:
Scholarships are now allowed by NCAA with many conditions. Need must be established by a review of information submitted by the parents and/or player. The review must be completed by an established committee from the team and all players must be eligible to get a scholarship based on need.
If anyone has a copy of these "many conditions" set by the NCAA, I'd love to see them. I've been out to the NCAA's rule pages, and I'm not seeing any new legislation regarding the issue, so I'm left wondering if rational minds have seen the light. What's remaining to be seen is how this philosophical change will reflected in the USA Hockey regs and other items such as the "Player Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities" document. I would think that with such a radical shift, any changes would have had to have been voted upon during the meetings, but they weren't. The brief set of procedures in the above passage are not suitable - if this is what we can expect everything is as self-regulated as it was in the past. Unless there's more to this story, I'm left asking myself has anything has really changed? It looks as if the only thing is a relaxation of the enforcement, which was never consistent in the first place.

Comments on "Scholarships now legal"

 

post a comment