Email Marc

Blog Tags


Archives

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Catching Up #2

Okay, I'm still way behind, and need to get some stuff written.

Iain Duncan was officially named head coach of the Toledo Cherokee, as Chris Varga was removed from the position prior to their tryout camp this past weekend. In hindsight, I should have known something was up when I met Duncan in Alpena during the IceDiggers' camp, as it seemed to me he was talking a pretty active role for a Jr. B assistant coach (no offense to any past or current B asisstant out there, just that in my experience their role has been extremely limited compared to Jr. A assistants).

And now a brief aside to my disgruntled reader from Dayoupea...

Texas isn't in Mexico, yet the ATMs here offer English and Spanish. Yeesh, as Lindsay said, it was poetic license. As someone who has lived and traveled in the state, I can tell you 1) there is a distinct dialect gradient as you head north and 2) the U.P. holds no exclusive title to the term "Up North." Bears, elk, cold, snow, and people with funny accents? Ya, that's up north somewhere....

That was a brief aside to my disgruntled reader from Dayoupea... we now return you to your regularly scheduled blogging...

There should be an announcement on the sale of Blue Line next week. I know, I know... but really, I'm pretty bullish about this. Also, expect a name change, and periodic references of "the rink formerly known as Blue Line."

Looking at the new NAHL schedule... anyone care to explain how Santa Fe plays a total of TEN games in Alaska, while division rival St. Louis plays none? Ah, the joys of unbalanced divisions...

This is old news (months old), and as such I'll leave any ramifications as an excercise to the reader, but what would happen in the junior ranks if Canadian college hockey joined the NCAA?

Congrats to John Meissner for landing a gig as the broadcaster for the Tri-City Storm. All those winters (and one summer) in the booth take their toll, but John calls on. I hope Kim likes cold breezes, there's nothing between Kearney and the North Pole but a barbed-wire fence.

I think I've mentioned it before, but it would be nice if all leagues provided a report like the one the BCHL distributes...

The sale of the NOJHL Soo Indians (formerly Northern Michigan Black Bears) to Charles Perdicaro and Jim Capy is now official...

The Guelph Storm were sold, too... but are staying in Guelph...

Grapes looking at Niagra Falls for OHL club (second article)...

Here's a look at the new education policy in the QMJHL. I need to get Lindsay to look it over...

Battlefords North Stars name Gary Clark as their new Head Coach/General Manager...

And that's all she wrote... I'm leaving out a fair bit of news... mostly player signings and such... sorry gang, but I just haven't had the time. At least now Im caught up, so I should be able to post a more constant stream of news...

Comments on "Catching Up #2"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 AM, August 10, 2006) : 

So Marc, how times has Blue Line been sold now??? LOL!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 AM, August 10, 2006) : 

why open now? especially when everyone already has a place to play at this season? makes no sense...but either does blueline to most.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 AM, August 10, 2006) : 

Take a closer look. St louis only plays Santa Fe 5 times Texas 13 & Wichita Falls 14. The rest of their games are out of division. Now take a look at the Central Division and you will find that Springfield does not play either Bismarck or Fargo-Moorhead. 36 of their 58 regular season games are out of division. How do you figure Division leaders out of this kind of schedule? What part of "interdivisional" don't I understand?

 

Blogger Marc Foster said ... (10:42 AM, August 10, 2006) : 

As far as Blue Line goes, there's more to a rink than just selling ice to hockey teams. Open skates generate far more revenue on a per hour basis. Who's to say that the new owners haven't already been negotiating with associations? I don't have an answer there, but it wouldn't surprise me.

On the NAHL schedule.. yes, I get it, it's an unbalanced schedule. I don't envy the schedule-maker, who I know is faced with all sorts of demands and politically charged decisions. I just question why St. Louis plays two intradivisional opponents zero times, while another team has to make an extra trip to Alaska. I think most folks would also agree that travell from St. Louis to Alaska would be easier than travel from Santa Fe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM, August 10, 2006) : 

But, you cannot have 2 or 3 ice rinks and expect to be busy without the hockey teams buying a great portion of the ice. with all the rinks in town already securing the travel and high school teams, it just seems to be a bad time to open. Plus, the Stars are taking house league hockey registrations next week. I just do not see many customers going there now, which will hurt them greatly, especially since the rent there must be high with how big it is...

 

post a comment